Cartagena's city population consists of
many nationalities, the most prominent foreigners being Arabs, Germans,
Italians and Spaniards.
Día de los Reyes Magos
San Pedro y San Pablo
Domingo de Ramos
Día de la Independencia
Día de San José
Batalla de Boyacá
La asunción de la Virgen
Día de la Raza
Domingo de Resurrección
Todos los Santos
Día del Trabajo
Independencia de Cartagena
Día de la Ascensión
Día de la Inmaculada Concepción
Día de Navidad
to spend several days in Cartagena, also known as Cartagena de Indias,
Colombia's fascinating Caribbean resort and most popular attraction.
History and nightlife, beaches and churches, a walled city and colonial
architecture make it a living museum, perfect for honeymoons, family
vacations and adult adventures.
It built on the ruins
of the old Church of The Mercy (1625) to commemorate the Centennial
of the Independence in 1911. In 1998 it was restored under the
direction of the architect cartagenero Alberto Samudio Trallero
as arts center of musical and scenic arts. Theater built in the
shape of horseshoe with boxes and balconies divided by lattices
of zero, that laces seem, originally they served for ventilation.
Stairs and sculptures of Italian marble with curtain of Mouth
and ceiling beautifully created by the artist cartagenero Enrique
It has been restored with all the modern norms of
Convento de la Popa
The hill receives this name because to the navigators seemed
similar to the stern of an embarkation. The hill was a forest
that served of refuge to the black untamed. From the top of the
historic hill all the city can be seen. At the beginning of the
17th century in the peak, two parents Agustinos built a cloister
that received the name of "Convent of Our Lady of the Candelaria".
Subsequently, it was setting of fights and served of headquarters
In the subsequent part of the convent there is a rough place
called "The leap of the rascal" and, according to the
legend, the first superior of the convent threw a male called
flock of goats "Buziraco", object of worship and adoration
of the black. Schedule of attention: Monday to Saturday of 8:00
to.m. to 5:00 p.m.
||Convent of San Diego
The founder Fray Sebastián
of Humilias acquired a house with charity that obtained of the
neighbors and became a convent, to what helped the same lending
them their slaves and donating the materials. Subsequently, the
final construction of the cloister built in the high thing of
the Jaqueyes was initiated where inhabited the poor people socorrida
by the religious. Inside their mission, the Franciscans favored
to many poor of different zones of the city and they gave lodging
to the soldiers of the fleets and armed when they needed it. The
Convent was based on the year 1608. After the desamortización
of goods of the Church decreed by Tomás Cipriano of Mosquera,
served as jail and electric plant. At present, and after to be
restored, was installed in it the "School of Fine Arts"
of this city. The exterior walls are conserved, except for the
facades that were substituted by the artist cartagenero Mr. Luis
Felipe Jasper, inside the style neogótico. Locating: Neighborhood
of San Diego, park of San Diego with street of the Vaults and
Street the cemetery.
|Convent of Santa Clara
This building was founded in 1617, colonial
epoch, and has been Convent, Hospital of Charity, House of Orphans,
School of Instructors and University Hospital. To the colonial
epoch they correspond the cloister in two floors with their central
patio, the interior rooms, the conventual temple of a single room
and the other dependences of the convent, as were the gardens
and the cemetery. On this they were built, in the republic and
in the modernity, the existing additions when was University Hospital,
and its last floor. The buildings for the sick correspond to the
republican epoch. The one that looks toward the street of the
Pastorate, of rich architecture, has been attributed to Gastón
Lelarge. That of the Calle del Torno, more recent and poorer,
responds to a subsequent intervention, in which a floor was added
to the original convent and all the walls remodeled facade on
this street copying timidly the other facade of Lelarge.
||Ermita de El Cabrero
At present, become one of the better hotels of Cartagena, beautifully
restored, preserve all the republican and colonial style that has
marked its history and also conserves part of the original walls
of the Convent. It is located in the Park of San Diego, occupies
the whole block that gives to the Calle del Torno, al Paseo de la
Muralla y Calles del Curato y Stuart. Ermita de El Cabrero
in which the remainders of the famous poet they are conserved
and President Mr. Rafael Núñez, author of the letter
of the Colombian national anthem and under whose Government devised
the Constitution of 1886 that was in force to the year of 1994,
thanks to the done modifications by the Constituent National Assembly.
|Hermitage of Our Lady of the Mercy
It founded in 1617 by the Reverend General Father Fray Francisco
of Rivera. It was built on the northwest part of the city, in
the same place where an old hermitage was found known like El
Humilladero. Depended on the Mercedarios of the province of Lima
(Peru). A century after their foundation, Cartagena suffers the
severity of the seas of tappet, that caused large damages in some
buildings by which the Engineers Juan of Blacksmith and Tomás
of Village, they proposed the construction of Walls that unites
the bulwarks of the Cross with that of Holy Catalina for the defense
of these buildings. In the 19th century the building suffered
the onslaughts of the War of the Independence. Already in republican
epoch became School and later in Upper Court of Justice. At the
beginning of this century the chapel was remodeled and the convent,
the first one was to become Theater Municipal and the convent
in Law Courts. The Theater has been restored totally being becoming
the present Theater Heredia and in the convent the University
functions Jorge Tadeo Lozano. Locating: Centro Amurallado - Plaza
de la Merced.
Cartagena of Indies had its first Cathedral in the year 1537,
in the present Street of the Coliseum, being a modest building
of palm and canes consumed by a terrifying fire in 1552. The sinister
one obliged the authorities to do another construction with more
lasting materials as the stone and the wood, in the place that
at present occupies. The high altar is a work completely carved
in wood with finished golden.
The older teacher of the city, Simón González,
did its original plans and directed great part of the construction,
which elapsed between the years 1577 and 1612.
||Church of the Santísima Trinity
Dates from the middle
of the 17th century. It is simple, its picturesque facade with
its tower brings us the memory of Holy Sunday.
Since its small square the movement of our independence was gestated.
The modernity, again, has affected enough the temple, causing
disappearing all its original structure.
The parish, that had to its charge in some moment the direction
of the School Biffi, built a school in the subsequent patio of
the Church for instruction of the youths of the neighborhood,
continuing its educational and social work to our days.
||Iglesia de San Agustín
It founded in 1580 by Fray Jerónimo Guevara. Basically
was a Convent, later military headquarters in various moments
of the wars of independence and since the start of the republican
life. Today, totally reformed, is the University of Cartagena,
although of the original structure only remains the extensive
cloister (transformed completely), the arches and the columns.
It is good to emphasize that this Convent was very important for
the history of the city by the events and personalities that have
come to visit.
Locating: Centro Amurallado, Calle de la Universidad, Antigua
calle de San Agustín con calle de la Soledad.
||Iglesia Santo Toribio de Mongrovejo
In 1665 began to build the Church with charity that gave the
neighbors of the Plaza of the Jagueyes (today plaza Fdez. Madrid),
being finished the construction, after different intents eclipsed
by the lack of resources, in the year 1732.
It is a lovely Church although of modest dimensions, that, unfortunately,
has been victim of the modernism suffering transformations that
have damaged it notably.
Locating: Centro Amurallado: San Diego, calle del Sargento Mayor
con Calle del Curato Esquina.